Friday 7 July 2017

CILIP HLG INTERNATIONAL BURSARY AWARD



CILIP HLG  AWARD (DAY 2: July 4th, 2017 @LSHTM (Library & Archives Service)

TRAINING ON USER SUPPORT & INFORMATION SERVICES
I commenced the day training with Gemma Bayliss & Kim Coles (Library staff) who gave me the summary of the duties rendered by the support and information services staff to the students, staff and other library users.  This services includes: Training on literature search, use of reference tools i.e endnote, managing user account, environment (health & safety in the library), personal induction for fresher’s, promotion of the library activities via (television in the library, posters, social media, newsletter etc) , interlibrary loan, membership registration (student, Staff, Alumni), special needs for people with disability among others.
SHADOW INFORMATION SKILLS TEACHING
I had another intensive training session with Kim Coles (Assistant Librarian) at Information Technology Service with some Master Degree students. The focus of the training was GREY LITERATURE; meaning, searching strategies and how to link your search results with endnote for easy referencing. (If you need the hand out you can contact me via the blog Facebook).
SOCIAL MEDIA USE IN THE LIBRARY
Gemma Bayliss took me through the school social media page: Facebook, Twitter and Blog. To my surprise the library Twitter was mostly used by the students She taught me how to attract student to use the library social media as well as benefits of using them for library service delivery.( I believe this could be a research topic for someone: USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA FOR SERVICE DELIVERY). A good librarian is expected to know what to share, engaging the users, suggested hashtags, and learning to credit creator of anything to be share in order to avoid copyright tussle.
Blogging!!! Guess what? I was the one training the tutor. Laugh! Finally, she gave me tips on how to open a Facebook account for my library without using my personal account, hence it makes it easier for the social media manager to hand it over when the need arise. Incredible, isn’t? (If you need a tip on how to open a Facebook page for your library without a recourse to your personal, you can contact me via the blog Facebook).
After all these activities, I am heading to Pinner to  meet Shane Goldbolt (Director, Partnership in Health Information) for sumptuous supper before heading to the Guest house at Harrow on the Hill.

Another great and incredible experience indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment